Thursday, July 7, 2011

Simple Stories, Sketch and Tutorial

JulySketch_LizQualman
It's summer and people should be playing outside having fun and snapping a lot of photos.  It's not a good time to be stuck inside, trying to think of a design to scrap those fun photos.  How about a simple sketch to make the time fly by so you can get back outside???  I thought it would be fun to focus on a one-page sketch and layout all about a favorite summer activity like swimming.
SimplePleasures_LizQualman

100 Days of Summer is such a fun collection full on wonderful color.  I love the combination of the red picnic tablecloth pattern with the green polka dots.
SimplePleasures_LizQualmanclose1
This little sunshine from the 100 Days of Summer Sticker Sheet is such a fun element to add to a project.  I used some of the tiny alphabets to add a sentiment.
SimplePleasures_LizQualmanclose2
It's fun to layer the 4x6 element cards to create unique patterns and journal sentiments.  I also added some of the cardstock sticker elements to continue the message.

Use Up Those 4x6 Journal Cards Tutorial
SimplePleasures1_LizQualman
I wanted to try something fun and unique with this beautiful 4x6 journal card element.  I liked the idea of using it for a photo matte, but then did not want the numbered journal spots to lose their punch, so I think I found a good compormise.  Just needed my x-acto, felt pen and some chalk ink.
SimplePleasures2_LizQualman
First I added my journal sentiments to the card.  I tried to make them all serious and nature focused except for the last one, which sums up the photo on the page.
SimplePleasures3_LizQualman
Next, I used my x-acto to around part of the journal spots so that they will overlap with the photo, so I can still use this card as a photo matte and have the sentiments stand out.
SimplePleasures4_LizQualman
Then, I used the chalk ink to ink around all of the cut sides to smooth them out and add some dimension.
SimplePleasures5_LizQualman
Finally, I slid the photo underneath all of the journal spots and attached the 4x6 card as the photo matte.  Super easy project with a unique twist to the cards.

100 Days of Summer Materials:
  • 12 x 12 Fundamental Cardstock Stickers #1402
  • 12 x 12 Expression Cardstock Stickers #1403
  • Simple Pleasures #1407
  • Flashcards #1409
  • 4 x 6 Vertical Journaling Card Elements #1412

Thank you so much for stopping by -

2 comments:

Michelle H. said...

What a fun sketch and gorgeous LO!!

Laurel said...

What a great sketch! love your layout. I used your sketch, you can see it here:

http://want2scrap.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-splashing-with-echo-park.html